MY FASHION WEEK DIARY
World MasterCard FW Toronto FW 2015
It’s a wrap for Fashion Justice
The fashionistas have left the building and all that is left is an empty and very cold David Pecaut Square (temperatures in the tents were frigid yesterday)! It was quite the week for a feast of fashion indulgences everywhere, both on and off the runway. You certainly don’t need to be a fashion addict to take in and appreciate the fun that is fashion. I thoroughly enjoyed the crazy crowds, the fashion friends I got to meet, and the pure thrill and excitement of catching show after show. It was certainly a fashion marathon and the only way to survive FW as a media person is to follow the FW Survival Guide. I must admit, I followed my survival rules as much as I could, but I still woke up each morning like I had just completed a full fashion marathon the night before.
My FW Survival Guide:
- WATER – Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- 3 INCH HEELS & WARM CLOTHES – I spent almost every show in the pit with the fashion photographers as that’s the place for the best shots….so standing for hours meant my 3 inch booties came in ultra handy. I have to say, “be nice to the security guards” is also important because if you make friends with them throughout the week, they let you stand and take pics in the pit with the professional photographers. With the exception of 2 shows, you could always find me right beside these professionals!
- DRESS WARM – The frigid Toronto March weather will turn you into a frozen block of a blogger if you don’t dress warm. Don’t kid yourself…those tents are not made for Canadian spring weather. I was frozen all the time.
- FOOD – I tried not to starve myself as the first show started at 4PM and ended at 9PM. In between I was posting instagram updates and this required energy to keep going. I kept running to the Tim Horton’s across the street for a quick jolt of carbs – essential to keep going!
- ESPRESSO – Thanks to Krups. a wonderful sponsor and the superb ladies working the booth, I managed to get plenty of espresso shots in between shows. They were not only yummy, but they kept me warm. The last day at the tents was brutally cold. The crazy winds got into the tent gaps and most of us were shaking our little fingers as we were updating our instagrams. I just want to say..the coffee was really really good! I would pick up one those espresso machines anytime.
- HAVE FUN – I met lots of friendly fashion people and bumped into some old friends (Veronica, my former make up girl who used to work at Stila at Yonge & Bloor and who I had not seen in years!!) and even my darling cousin Daniela from Montreal, who was there with a major sponsor, NeoStrata. The team at NeoStrata are wonderful and I can’t wait to use your products! I also got recognized a few times! The best part is hearing followers tell me that they enjoy the blog. It’s a pure labour of love and joy and I can’t tell you how much that means to me!!
My darling cousin Daniela! That’s TWO DI BIASES in one room! Wonderful isn’t it? Hey, it’s my blog, I can brag about being a Di Biase. LOL
- FUR IS A MUST – Faux, vintage, you name it. You can’t hit a show without showing your furs! Trust me, you need it even more for the cold tent weather, than for the fashion value. Speaking of fur…The Wild North had a spectacular show, complete with stunning sexy Canadian pieces. As the models strutted the runway in their fur bras, the fur protestors managed to zip onto the runway and show their stuff. At first we all thought it was part of the show, but they were quickly whisked off the runway and we all focused on the show. Drama is good for a new launch right? The show was great!!
This is one of my fave fur wraps. I wear it over a blazer, a coat, and I am wearing it here with my black Zara cape. Comfy and warm for a day at the tents.
Okay maybe this is my other fave fur. It’s from BCBG. It’s super light and really warm. The light pink and soft fur feathers make it feel dreamy. Of course a blinked out iPhone case is a must!
A perfect hair style for the tents. You don’t need to be fussing about your hair not staying put when you are out there working!
How did this animal activist manage to jump onto the runway? I feel like we have entered D&D territory here. Show went on without a hitch and the models were great!
On this day I came straight from the office and as you can see this is my Lawyer Diva look….BCBG black and white dress, Prada shoes and Zara blush coat.
This was the VIP lounge. The first night was so loud and crowded. It was nice to have this little retreat and rest up in between shows.
VIP lounge had a great open concept where you could daze out to King Street West.
I like the blurriness of this shot! Go Canada!
I know that discipline is my strong point…I mean how else can you explain years of education, bar exams, strict fitness routines and staying on top of writing your blog? The only way to explain this is discipline right? Well, as much as I thought I was disciplined, this week took it to a whole new level. Thank God I had the wisdom to take some days off work or I would have stammered into my office like a worn our fashion addict, confusing legal advice for style advice. Don’t worry….I carry E&O insurance. My point is that this was fun and crazy work! I enjoyed each and every minute of it.
Check out the professional l runway pics here for each of the fabulous Canadian collection.
Thank You Canada.
We really have some great talent here in the true north, strong and free.
From a very proud but very cold Canadian blogger! xoxo
Designer Bags are under my eyes by day 3. I was too scared to show you this pic in colour!! My bags would scare the hell out of you. I woke up each morning and iced my eyes. Actually I do that ever morning. It really does work! Try it.
Perone beer? Who doesn’t love an Italian beer?
Fantastic Swag! Maybelline Mascara, Designer socks, Elle Canada and Fashion Magazine. Dove and NeoStrata products.
Last day for the show. Fun faux fur and ray bans.
I hopped on the subway (yes I took the subway) and made my way home to rest, get a proper meal and relax until Spring Summer 2016! Here are a few last shots of the night and a few runway shots of some of my pieces….just temporary for now as I will be posting all runway pics shortly. For now, check out my Instagram page.